Pages

01/02/2013

Coastal Pathway Temporary Closure on Safety Grounds

On Wednesday morning on my daily dog walk along the coastal pathway, I found my way blocked at the Douglas Terrace end with a hand painted sign indicating that the path had been closed because of the danger of high tides. To access the beach further long at Grassy Beach, I walked round to Beach Lane and the connecting pathway from there to the footbridge over the railway. The footpath was very muddy and slippery. Looking from the vantage point of the footbridge, it was able to see that part of the pathway surface adjacent to site works by Kilmac (the Contractor) was missing. 

By the time I had got home and washed off the the mud off my shoes, I had been contacted by a constituent who complained  about the awful state of the path from Beach Lane which he had little option but to use.

I contacted the Council and enquired, on behalf of pedestrians, cyclists and dog walkers about how long the coastal pathway was to be closed? In the light of the closure, I also indicated that I wanted to know what the Council was going to do to improve signage while this stretch of the busy coastal pathway was closed. I thought that diversionary routes should be clearly indicated for those that don't know their way around. Furthermore, I wanted to know what the Council was going to do to improve the surface of the Beach Lane pathway which is one of the Broughty Ferry 'core' paths? It's disappointing that I called for the upgrading of the surface of the Beach Lane pathway last summer but this was ignored apart from cutting back the brambles. 

Later on Wednesday, the coastal pathway was re-opened.

I think it's time for speedy and effective action by the Council so that this pathway can mare adequately provide a safe and convenient diversionary route when the coastal pathway is closed again on safety grounds.